Differences between Vans Authentic and Era
1. Year of productionThe Vans Authentic was the first shoe released by the brand before Era. Authentic was produced in 1966 while Era was produced in 1976.
2. DesignUpper: The Vans Authentic features a sturdy canvas upper while the Vans Era features a durable double-stitched tri-color canvas upper. Collar and tongue: The collar and tongue of the Vans authentic are not padded. Unlike the Vans Era which is padded for extra comfort. Materials: The Vans Era features a leather or suede upper while the Vans Authentic uses simple materials for the part of the shoe.
3. StyleThe Vans Era features new technology available to Vans. They are made of new materials unlike the Vans authentic which still has retro styles. Authentic is a traditional Vans sneaker style that is just a simple but classic shoe for skating.
Similarities between Vans Authentic and Vans Era
- Both shoes feature a low top design
- They both have a lace-up closure with a metal eyelet.
- They have a Vans signature waffle rubber outsole
- They are both conducive for skating
Vans Authentic vs Era – Which one is better?Just like Vans Old Skool and Ward, Vans Authentic and Era are among the best shoes Vans has in their collections. Even at that, one is supposed to be better than the other, right? However, that decision is supposed to be made by people as another man’s meat is another man’s poison. So, while some people prefer the stuffed foam at the collar and tongue of the Vans Era, others love the simple Vans Authentic without any padding. Vans Authentic is a simple shoe with fewer critics. It has a traditional style bringing the retro design to the modern days. Because of its simplicity, Vans Authentic could be worn for skating and casual occasions. Vans Authentic can also withstand any weather without wearing off. It can also be worn by both adults and children. It is not selective. The Vans Era, however, is a modification of Vans Authentic. Unlike Vans Authentic, Vans Era features a padded collar and tongue for additional comfort. After its production, the Vans Era became the best shoe for skateboarding. People fell in love with the shoe because of the comfort it offers compared that Authentic couldn’t. Still, many people prefer the Vans Authentic to Vans Era because of less foam around the ankle. They prefer the freedom and less stuffing in Vans Authentic.
How much is Vans Authentic?
- Vans Unisex-Adult Authentic core classics: $35 — $120
- Vans Kids Authentic core classics: $35 — $100
- Vans Men’s Authentic pro skate shoe: $44.96
- Vans Vee3NVY Unisex Authentic shoe: $54 — $114
- Vans Authentic true white VN-0EE3W00 Men: $59.10 — $96.69
How much is Vans Era
- Vans Men’s Era 59: $40.00 — $89.99
- Vans Era TC Men’s suede low top lace-up sneakers: $27.99
- Vans comfy cush Era fashion sneaker men’s shoes: $49.99 — $89.99
ConclusionVans Era and Vans Authentic are alike with a little difference. Vans Era is preferred to be referred to as the modification of Vans Authentic with padding at the collar and tongue, and a double-stitched vamp at the upper.
Did you know....?
The Van Doren Rubber Company
Yes, that was the actual name of the company when it started! The name Vans was actually a nickname, which the company decided sounded snappier, and that’s how it came to be called Vans.
Originally, Vans had shoe numbers not names. The first Vans shoes to come out had numbers, not names.
The first Vans shoe was the #44, which is called the Authentic today. Next came the #95 (what we currently know as the Era), the #36 (currently called The Slip On).
Wonder if they ever came up with #007?
Even The US Air Force wore Vans!
In the 70’s the US Defense Department asked Vans to make shoes for the air force. They made just one model for them; a canvas boot with a wool lining.
Most un-Vans-like, the truth be told. Maybe they’ll do better for the Navy!
Here’s a tit-bit that might shock you: Did you know that Vans filed for bankruptcy in 1984?
They went bust because they grew too fast, produced too many models of shoes and generally just made a mess of it.
Thanks to the protection afforded by the courts, Vans managed to get their act together, but the original owners had to sell their company. The new owners made Vans what they are today.
Check out some amazing Vans designs for men, women and kids! They look better than ever!