Canvas shoes are some of the most comfortable things to wear. And the white ones just seem to add life to whatever you wear them with.
But like almost every good thing, it comes with a heavy downside. They are easily stained and get to hold on to those stains easily because of the material they’re made of.
A pair of white canvas shoes may be beautiful to behold but a pair of dingy-grey shoes that should have been white is anything but a sight to behold.
This is why we’ve outlined these easy cleaning methods that will transform your shoes from grey and dingy to good as new.
How can I clean my white canvas?
There are two major methods by which you can get your white canvas cleaned.
1. Hand Washing Method
- Step 1: Firstly, it’s important to let the mud under your shoes dry first so they can harden. When this happens tap the soles together to clear the dirt underneath. You can also use an old toothbrush to get in between the shoe creases.
- Step 2: Next, take out your shoelaces and soak them in water with some detergent. Or if they’re too old and too dirty, you can simply get new ones.
- Step 3: After the laces, you want to clean the soles of the shoe. To do this, you have to mix water with baking soda or vinegar. Dip your brush in the mixture and use it to scrub the soles till they’re clean.
- Step 4: Now, you start to clean the canvas itself. You will need to mix detergent in water and use a brush, preferably an old toothbrush like you did earlier, to scrub the canvas. You will dip it in the water-detergent mixture, then scrub the shoe in small circles until every spot is clean.
(PS: Take care not to leave any soap residue on the shoe because soap residues can leave their stains when left to dry.)
- Step 5: Place the shoes in a properly ventilated area to dry. Do not wear them until they are dry.
- Step 6: Don’t forget, you soaked the shoelaces earlier. You can take them out and scrub lightly with the old toothbrush. Or you can wash them the same way you would wash clothes manually. Keep them in a well-ventilated area after washing to dry.
2. Machine Washing Method
As the name suggests, a washing machine is used to carry out the washing.
- Step 1: First, you will need to clean the soles and remove the mud just like in the hand washing technique. Removing the mud ensures no dirt will move around randomly during the washing process in the washing machine.
- Step 2: When you get to the washing machine, run a gentle cycle with cold water. Then add detergent, but not so much.
- Step 3: Add water to the machine and put it in the shoes. Then turn in the machine and let it wash till the end
- Step 4: Take out the shoes and let them dry. Be sure to put them in a well-ventilated area. And do not wear the shoes until they are fully dried. Wash your laces in the same fashion as before.
With this, you can go ahead wash your white canvas with ease, to look smart, presentable and of course, adorable.
Share this post if it was helpful.